Anyway - here's the results of soem hard physical labour last week:
busy time taking down the diseased gum out the back and chipping all the branches. The pile of mulch took me two days to spread. The ground is still as hard as a rock, so plant hole digging has consisted of mattock work and soaking the holes to get some depth.
I'm really pleased with the design I came up with for the front. I've used miniature kangaroo paws, Correas, Acacia cognata cvrs., one Agonis flexuosa purpurea and will eventually put some tree ferns up against the house wall, as it is perpetually shaded there. I also created a little damp hollow and have used some mosses, rushes, a christmas bells and a dianella there. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them going through next summer, with backeted waste water. I put clay at the bottom of the hollow to slow down the drainage.
The back yard is next, and I can't wait to be working and earning again so that I can confirm my plans to change the back fence for one that I can see through. Look at the lovely mist that was rising off the creek the other morning. It is a constant delight to watch the play of light over the reeds and grasses and through the trees in the creek reserve.